‘Centaur Asteroid’ by A.C. Brokenshire
That’s us, Gemini. Identical twins born of a common mother and different fathers. My name is Castor, immortal son of Zeus. Pollux my twin, is the son of King Tyndareus of Sparta. We were like peas in a pod, loving brothers, seldom seen apart. That was until Pollux began to fail.
He was an equestrian and his
horsemanship skills had been legendary, leading his steeds to tap and dance
with precision to the music. However, at one evening’s performance the treading
of hooves was at the will of his horse. The seemingly unbreakable spiritual
line of communication between the artists was no longer and Pollux purely
became a passenger. His horse became the centre of attention, whilst he clung
on, without focus, as if in La-la land. He was thrown off like a rag doll,
mercilessly tossed to the ground. My father Zeus laughed a belly chortle at his
misfortune, ridiculing the star. His teasing of Pollux gradually became worse
until it became outright bullying and utter humiliation. From that point on I
knew we could no longer live together as a twelfth of the constellation.
Should I interfere and rescue
him from purgatory?
I hatched a plan. As he slept
in the crib next to me I cut his D.N.A. helical loop. My wonderscope worked
like a biological knife through butter, editing his genes. I used the clustered
regularly interspaced short palindromic repeating technique, or CRISPR for
short, if you like acronyms. Perfectly guided by the R.N.A. sequence they stuck
fast to the D.N.A. strand, slicing through. His eyes fluttered as if in dream
sleep, so I continued with the procedure to remove the old nucleotides and replace
them with new genetic material to turn him into an asteroid. I had to save my
loved one. To free him.
I knew it would work slowly,
and it did. As he drifted away I watched him, screwing my eyelids tight until
he disappeared from view. Unwittingly, he travelled further and further, until
he was many light years away. He had gone and was now orbiting the Sun between
Jupiter and Neptune.
Zeus will have me punished
for turning Pollux into a centaur asteroid, but I’m prepared for the worst.
On
a clear night, if your eyesight follows along the Ishino line towards Jupiter,
you may see a comet trail. That my friends is my excommunicated twin, now a
gatekeeper for the Earth’s seasons. A rider on the storm. Long may he continue.

Comments
Post a Comment